View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #224
GordonC

Default Re: Rebuilt Flathead Problems.

Ok Guys here is an update and file this one under "What I just learned!" Decided to start putting things back together today as the lower end and timing issues appear to be dealt with. So got my new gasket set. Rolled the motor over on the engine stand and put the oil pan gasket on. (I had previously pulled all the lifters and marked their location and set them aside so they wouldn't fall out.) Bolted the pan down using some silicon and torqued the bolts to 18 lbs.ft. Rolled her over and started bolting the timing cover on the front. Everything going good. Using anti seize on the stainless bolts. Get to the last one and pick it up and a washer bounces off the end of it and falls into the lifter galley and straight down a lifter bore and into the lower bowels of the engine! Arrrggghhhh!!! I think I heard it hit the oil pan? Finish up the timing cover and remove the clean out plate on the truck pan I have. Look around in there with a flashlight and don't see anything. Try squeezing a magnet in there and rolling it around to see if it picks up anything just in case this was a steel washer, but NOOOO, nothing. So guess what I get the joy of re doing tomorrow! I tell you if I didn't have shitty luck with this engine i would have no luck and right about now i am ready to turn it into a part of a coral reef here off the coast of NC!

I guess the good news is that I have a new set of valve springs on their way here and I should be able to get the valves back together and installed this coming week.
GordonC is offline   Reply With Quote