View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #10
Tinbasher

Default Re: Interesting read in Hemmings about restoration costs.

Thanks for Posting this article Brent. It says it all. I put my remarks in a facebook page that also had it. Like you I've been doing restoration work for 45 years. It took me a long time to get honest with people and tell them what they where looking at in the end. I've tracked the time on this work over the years, so I have a good idea of the time it takes and sometimes I'm still out by 20% due to the condition of the vehicle. I tell most people today that your looking at $125,000. to start for a ground up restortation and we'll go up from there depending on how detailed and correct you want the car. Because the cars we start with a pretty rotted it can easily take 8 weeks just to do the metal work including fitting. Then 3 weeks to do the filler work. 6 weeks for paint prep. 1 week to paint all of the pieces, 10 days to watersand and polish. And then go from there for the assembly, mechanics, upholstery, wiring, glass chrome. This is why when you own a Model "A" you need to learn to do as much as you can. But we do Love them!! JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote