View Single Post
Old 10-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
frnkeore

Default Re: Cutting domes in 21 stud aluminum heads?

That's a good question. I have a similar situation but, my engine has to be bored so, I'll use flat tops for it.

First, put the heads on it w/o a gasket and no nuts or use a straight edge, to begin with. Turn the engine over and see if it raises the heads. If not, you may be good to go (the dome is slight in my engine and you'll have about .040 deck clearance) as the head gasket on my Victors is .060 compressed.

If it does raise or touch the head, put one or two gaskets on and some small pieces of wadded tinfoil (held in place with grease) on top of all the pistons, as Ol' Ron suggests and turn the engine over, two times and measure it. You'll need that info, regardless.

From there, you'll be able to determine what needs to be done. You need a bare minimum of .035 clearance and if you only need about .030, you can have the dome cut, in a lathe. If you need much more, it will have to be done with a radius cutter, on the head or you will need to replace the pistons, with FH's.

Based on my engine (.040 over and I don't know the brand of the pistons), I think you would only need to cut no more that .040, from the head, if you have to and the head would be ok with that. Keep in mine, that there is also a .070 head gasket, to help with juggling these dimensions.

Last edited by frnkeore; 10-02-2019 at 12:46 PM.
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)