View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #10
vtwinsideways

Default Re: What heads? 1941 half ton.

Copying this from the thread on EFV8: I have been having very little luck in researching the '40-'41 pickups. The only book I am aware of is Howard Town's Two Great Trucks and it is fairly limited but does refer to the optional engine. Vanpelts website also has a little bit of info on the 1941 models and refers to a commercial model 19C. The rest of my info is just hearsay from a few folks who have been doing this much longer than I and I have seen a pair of '41 trucks over the last few years with the Merc engines, one who's owner claimed it was stock. To start off with, I'm not certain what my wife's '41 came with. When her father bought it around 10 years ago, it had no drivetrain. He did a mild hot rod job on it that we are trying to undo. We started collecting parts to convert it back and I went on the hunt for a "raised deck" prewar flathead. A friend had one and we purchased it and began the grueling process of tearing down the seized engine. In researching I found that it is a 1941 or 1942 Mercury. It had the short cam, the pancake distributor and dual pulleys, so odds are it's a 1942 however it also has a rebuild tag and has been floating around in the world of no documentation for a long time, so who knows at this point. I have no illusions when it comes to the world of "all original". Frankly, I don't have the skills or the patience, but I do want the truck to be right. I realize that the most likely way for it to be "correct" involves letting go of the Merc and beginning the search for a Ford, however the limited knowledge I have on the subject pointed me in the direction of the Mercury being a plausabe option.

Thank you 40cpe.

I have no documentation. I have no desire to pass this truck off as "all original". My wife inherited this truck with a hot rod drive train when her father died and she would like to see it stock and drivable. She would like to drive it in the Newport Hill Climb. She has no intention of ever parting with this truck as it is a tangible and lasting memory of her father. I made no such claims to Kube or anyone else that the truck came with the engine I am trying to find the right heads for. The small amount of information I had been able to aquire on 1941 Ford Commercial 112" pickups indicated that the Model 19C came with such an engine. As one was readily available to me I purchased it and began working and researching on it. I didn't mean to start a rukus. Thank you very much. Lukus W. McLeod

Last edited by vtwinsideways; 07-22-2017 at 10:47 PM.
vtwinsideways is offline   Reply With Quote