View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
Dick Carne

Default Re: Joint MARC / MAFCA Clubs

A sincere "thanks" to everyone that has responded, and to anyone who may respond as well going forward. I have been around Model A's and MARC (at that time) since the early 1960's as a teenager, and during that time I have seen the ebb and flow of a resurgence by first one and then the other club (I've also served a MARC Regional Director and a MAFCA Chapter President).

When we were reviewing the proponents of one affiliation vs. the other in determining the future course for our local Region several years back, we were finally persuaded more by the insurance/liabilty coverage afforded at that time by the MARC organization. That appears to have changed since that time (and I also understand the limitation of coverage extending only to the Club itself - we have resolved to this point to keep dues lower than most, so there is not really a "deep pocket" from a club treasury standpoint to entice a prospective plaintiff to pursue the Club as a potential co-defendant, but in that event, and under the single affiliation we currently have, then to pick up with the "other" charter would allow the group to continue virtually unscathed by any litigation).

Insurance issues aside, I believe that the motivation behind the current "push" to consider a dual affiliation is due largely to an interest in being able to incorporate into the local Club's newsletter and web-page those publication resources available through both national clubs, with noted credits given of course. However, I remain mindful of the dual costs to affiliate with both national clubs in that event (if only for Directors themselves), but that said, its sometimes difficult enough to find folks willing to serve in a Board capacity without adding an additional cost to that challenge, especially for folks on fixed incomes and otherwise moderate incomes.

Again, thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)