View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #53
anothercarguy

Default Re: 59AB Cooling System Advice Needed from the Experts (not an overheating issue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
Glad to see you solved the problem which is what you suspected originally, but curious as to why the coolant tests didn't show the results. I have a very similar crack (the one @Tinker pointed out) between one of the head bolt threaded holes and coolant passage and was also told not to worry as these types are common. One of my rebuild books says the same. Machinist is wrapping up the end of this month with my short block, and I will check with hi again on Friday. Hard to tell from the sequence of pics, but wouldn't the crack into the cylinder head be the more worrisome?
I am glad to have found the issue, but was also curious about why my coolant tests in the shop did not show any signs of the failure as well. I discussed this with the rad shop owner (good knowledgeable guy that gave me his time) when I took the rad in. He figured (and it makes sense to me), that under the load of climbing the hill, the engine was making a bit more heat, working a bit harder, there may be some differential heat expansions (aluminum heads, copper gaskets, cast iron block, steel headbolts) etc. Under that load was when the problem is going to start showing up. Once everything cooled down in my shop, everything re-sealed. He said that he had seen it before while chasing similar symptoms. It made sense to me.

Sorry about the sequence of the pictures (I had trouble with figuring out how to post them, and how to post them in a size that might be helpful). I have more pictures but didn't want to overwhelm the post. The heads are not cracked, one of the head photos shows the gasket sitting on it and the marking on the gasket is the telegraphed crack imprinted from the block.
anothercarguy is offline   Reply With Quote