Thread: Ford V8-60
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Fred A

Default It's All In The Gearing!

I had a T coupe that had a 60 . Most such swaps of that era used 3.78 Model A rear with the toy size trans and was not all that bad. It was bad aerodynamics that limited the T/V8-60 at the top. The same rig with an open wheel roadster would have been much better and capable of freeway speeds. Light as possible a stripped down roadster could be great. The V8-60 in an A has been poorly done quite often, but seldom given the gear ratios and weight consideration. My current plan is for my '31 roadster with a '40 sixty. The 4.56 rear gear and the V8 16/28 Ford passenger trans plus a Mitchell OD. That would put the first gear ratio at 12.86, slightly lower than the Model A's standard 11.79 overall. The 4.56 ratio in the rear gives final in OD of 3.37 with the Mitchell. This is still a bit tall for the 60 but with the Ford V8 trans there are many gearset ratios to choose from, but 4.56 is the highest reduction I could find for the Model A rear. Hope that with reduced weight would make the top gear still work. I still would have the choice of tires to nudge the effective gearing. Engine mods are less effective short of a supercharger than the most ignored parameter which is gearing. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote