Thread: Ford V8-60
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
My 34 Ford

Default Re: Ford V8-60

In 1963 when I was 18 I did what you are thinking of doing with a 60 HP V8. I was working in a garage during the summers and after and school both high school and college. My car at the time was a nice 31 Model A Coupe with a worn out engine. One of the mechanics at the garage was a big time fabricator and had just acquired a nice 37 Ford with a smooth running 60 HP engine. He pulled the flathead engine to put a sbc engine in. The 60 HP was mine for the asking. This conversion was a no brainer for me and it did not take long with his help and the assets of the garage to have this engine in my 31 coupe. A very easy install as everything bolted up using the 37 engine and 39 transmission. Glass pack duels and I was a happy guy. The car ran great. I never won any races but it was a good performer for the 2 more years I had the car. Never had any problems with it. The engine was an easy fit and looked like it came from the factory that way. After this long story I would say do the engine swap if you want and I think you will find that it creates a lot of interest when you start it up, especially if your A looks stock. The 60 HP with glass packs had a sound of its own. I was able to get a little bit more speed in each gear using the A rear end. Best regards Dennis
My 34 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote