View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #11
hardtimes

Default Re: Model B Motor Oil System Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Without a light spray into this area, I would think the camshaft plunger would run a bit dry. I usually plug the passage you are referring to and then drill it with a 1/32" bit. I use a high capacity Stipe oil pump in these applications.
I defer though to your experience as I have not tried it your way.
Good Day!
Hey Dave,
You mention an important item that has not been mentioned in this subject...the oil pump !
The Stipe pump is excellent and I use one on one engine. The pumps capacity for consistent pressure/high pressure is important , IMO, to consider when making holes, how large and where to make them.
With your pump setup, 1/32" is prudent and I've done similar also. Now with an old worn out stock pump, maybe not so much. My B sitting on a stand, that plug is not drilled. It has a high pressure pump also.

However, what kind of engine and/or what it is to be used for is important when considering such oiling (holes) question. I've talked to old engine racer/builders and read where drilling the galley front plug is NOT necessary in their opinion...to oil timing gear areas. Nice to have choices and not be wrong either way. You choice

Last edited by hardtimes; 10-14-2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: ...........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote