View Single Post
Old 11-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #17
KiWinUS

Default Re: head stud removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
When you say "blow out with a gas torch" are you talking about using a cutting head or are you suggesting an air nozzle after heating the remaining stud to the point of melting? Seems like a cutting torch would have a high probability of ruining the block. Could you describe this operation in detail?
Okay I will do my best to explain but must say plain old years of experience doing this is proof in the puddin for me. A liberal coating of Howes penetrant first and let it do its job as long as I can. I have tried about all penetrants & this is the best in my opinion.
I use a stud extractor next & if studs don’t come out I keep pulling until studs break. Typically close to deck level. I then center punch broken stud. Now drill with 1/8 drill all way through. Now time for the gas torch with cutting attachment. I do this outside when possible to avoid hot splatter in my shop for obvious reasons. Now fire up cutting torch & set it as you would to cut. Now put heat to broken stud. You will see due to the mass of stud versus mass of block stud heats up red quickly with no sign of red to block or threads. Pull lever for oxygen & proceed to blow molten stud out of threaded hole. You will see that threads do not even get any color in them so consequently remain untouched by gas cutting torch. You will see (use correct color shield so you can see what your doing.) once all remains of stud are gone, you will clearly see. Let cool & use thread chaser to final clean. In over 40 years of using this method I have never had an issue or damaged threads beyond their integrity prior to gas torch.
Hope this helps @ I will gladly answer any questions. If you have any experience with a gas cutting torch you will see how easy & quick with zero issues this is.
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote