View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
conservationist

Default Re: Diode/Cutout Help Needed

Okay, started engine and shorted from generator side to case and had sparks, but I'm thinking I would anyways because battery is hooked to other side?? But if not, then generator is "generating". By the way, shorted across cutout first to polarize just in case it needed it.

Disconnected battery and tested continuity -- strange readings. No continuity going Red on Gen side, black on battery side -- However, I didn't get clear continuity Black on gen side, red on battery side.

Took it off generator, and it appeared that maybe the solder joint had "bridged" across to the metal that the diode "head" goes through. Took it apart and re-soldered so that the wire did not "bridge" across the gap from the contact point. However, I still have no continuity the one way, and less than good continuity the other direction where you all are telling me I should have. By the way, there is a fair amount of corrosion inside cutout shell. Maybe that's messing things up. I did clean all connection terminals of rust/paint and gunk in general.

Put it back on, started up and no go as to a positive readingr on dash amp meter, but still can go negative when brakes, lights, etc. turned on. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Any other suggestions??

Again, I am assuming I should be reading some positive amps. I can say that when the previous cutout (before gutted) was working as well as an after market one that I could run with top off, when I closed the points manually I was generating current up to 10+ amps so the third brush is set pretty high.

Thanks for both past and future help.

May just need to get some local club help but we're hosting Regional Meet in a week or so and everyone's pretty tied up. We were hoping to participate with the truck -- maybe not as I'd hate to win that breakdown trophy with all those guests in town!

Bob in Boise
conservationist is offline   Reply With Quote