View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #66
Kahuna

Default Re: The forgotten 1960 Fords

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thought I'd relate a story of one of those 1961 Fords.
In 1961, I was home in Hawaii, after my first year of college.
I grew up there as my Dad had taken a job at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard at the end of 1945.
A guy I knew from hi school had been given a new 1960 Corvette upon graduation. He stopped by my house to find out where a girl lived. I told him I could show him & off we went. Her name was Charlotte & her Dad was the service manager for the Ford dealership in Honolulu.
When we got to her house, her Dad was working on a ski boat & told us Charlotte wasn't home. We chatted with him about the boat & he said he had to leave to go to the Hardware store for something. We all left at the same time. He was driving the most Plain-Jane ugly 1961 Ford 2 door sedan. It was the cheapest,least attractive car to us.
3 speed, column shifted POS. At the first stoplight, Jimmie (with the Corvette), was really giving Charlotte's Dad a bad time about what a crappy car he had and how fast his Corvette was. I mean, a Corvette with a 4 speed, etc.
When the light changed we left that big ugly Ford in the dust- until about halfway thru 2nd gear in the Corvette, that Ford was just shifting into 2nd & went by us and just walked away.
He had the 401 HP engine.
Was a bad day for us kids
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote