View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Stretch Cab

Default Re: A Rivetting Paint Problem

I figured the single stage would be the way to go, and thanks to all for your input. I like the looks of base/clear but I'm sure whatever is used will look great. The car has sat unfinished since the 60's and I think it is time to cover up the aluminum skin with all of grandpa's pencil drawings and finish it in his memory. I thought about buffing out the hood and leaving that but not sure I can get the look I want.
The radiator, head lights and steering column are from an early American LaFrance fire truck while the running gear and transmission are early Chevy. The motor is from a stationary Continental water pump. (Little motor under a Big hood!)
My grandfather was an self taught shade tree mechanic and body man. He built houses and in my mind, could do anything he wanted to do. I still wonder why he never finished this car.
At one stage in his life he was a fire chief so to honor him and build on the theme of the car I'm finishing the car as a faux ALF fire chief's car. The body will be fire engine red with the rolled beading painted an equal glossy black with gold leaf striping to finish it off. Black simulated leather diamond tucked upholstery will add to the appearance. I plan to make a windshield and will either fabricate a non working collapsed top or hopefully find one I can buy. My budget is very limited so we will see how long it takes but the journey is the most fun. Again thanks and I'm sure I will have more questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120806_095527-001.jpg (28.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 20120806_095549-001.jpg (221.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg P1000656.jpg (102.8 KB, 55 views)
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote