View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #25
Tudortomnz

Default Re: Double Trouble - Sloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
In the late 30s' through to 48 we got US styled coupes down here in NZ while the Australians didn't but we didn't any 40s' because FOMOCO NZ had gone War Production. I've always understood "slopers" to be coupe substitues and the correct designation you point out probably backs that up. Ford of Australia was quite innovative when it comes to body styles, something to do with a percentage of Aussie build content if I am right. ......correct me if I'm wrong.
True. With great hindsight, the Australian govt. only allowed car companies to operate within the country if they provided employment, & used local suppliers. Ford was allowed to build their Geelong Plant with prime port access as long as they moved into manufacturing, at first body building & later chassis components etc.
Re 1940' Fords in NZ, I believe some commercials came in. I know of a Std. Panel & big truck models here. Also '41 & '42 light pickups & big trucks for the Govt & Forces ; some '42 cars for the Forces too. Farmers also could get access to some new trucks in that period
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote