View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #35
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Distribator off by one tooth - Pulley casting number

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Me, too, JSeery. Here's my understanding and summary. The PO's car was timed to the factory marks and hesitating, spitting. He found a mark scribed on the lock down pad (I think) of the distributor and set the timing to that mark. The engine ran good, but the new timing was about 1 1/2" advanced from the factory mark. He was advised to locate TDC with the cable tie method. He did and it verified his advanced timing mark as TDC, about 1 1/2" advanced of the factory mark. He explored the possibility of the wrong crank pulley and was advised (because of the position of his rotor) to rotate his distributor one tooth and re-time. Here is where it gets unclear to me. Without giving specifics, he indicated the problem was solved. So I'm assuming he moved the distributor one tooth and re-timed to factory marks and it runs well. We know that rotating the distributor won't change the TDC indicator, unless something else has changed.
You are close. This all started when I decided to set the timing with a timing light as apposed to setting it with the best vacuum then backing it off a bit. The car has been running this way for the past 8 years.

When I used the timing light, for some reason it was 1 1/2" off the timing button. I posted the question, why?

I have attached a picture of the pulley with the factory timing marks (on the left) and the location of the artificial TDC in silver marker, that is one tooth off (on the right) when using a timing light. My goal was to find out why and then correct the situation to use the factory timing marks.

There were many suggestion and questions during the course of the discussion.

The final solution, was that the distributor was off on tooth. If I pulled the distributor up and rotated it one tooth (counter clock wise), I would then be able to use a timing light and the original factory timing mark on the pulley.

Bottom line, I did move the distributor back one tooth and now, I am able to use the timing light in conjunction with the factory timing dot on the pulley. Problem solved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9921 arrows.jpg (47.3 KB, 9 views)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote