View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Rear end gear ratio

If one ever compared highway construction before 1930 as compared to today, one would see where many very early highways had very steep hills because of a lack of heavy duty earth moving equipment to smooth out hills and fill valleys; hence, cars had to be geared down to be able to climb these very steep hills and even very steep entrance driveways.

In my humble opinion, if changing out a rear end, providing such lowered vintage gear ratios in cars today make about as much sense as trying to fight WWIII with black powdered loaded single shot muskets.

Installed a new 3:27 (10) years ago in what so many refer to as an extra heavy 1930 Briggs Town Sedan; but, if one compares vehicles weight differences, one can see where Town Sedans are not extra heavy for a vehicle with wheels.

My car came with a Police head, but I removed the standard cam and substituted a Stipe 330 type cam; plus, changed to a B carburetor, and a B distributor.

With (5) passengers, lots of power even in today's modern, mild "so-called" steep hill country ...... plus with far less RPM's, I get 20 mpg in stop & go traffic.

If I ever finish my 1930 coupe, it will have nothing but a 3:27.

Hope this one opinion & experience helps.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-01-2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)