View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #34
Will N

Default Re: MARC enforcing Region membership requirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old182 View Post
Will, the MARC Constitution requries all Region members to be MARC national members. Our Region (Hudson Valley) has always required MARC membership in its Bylaws so that all new members came in knowing they must join MARC as a requisite to joining the Region. As others do, our treasurer collects dues for our Region and for MARC and sends a check to the national office. Regarding partial MARC membership within a Region, you bring up a very interesting point and I'm sure our insurance exec will address it. As Gary and Ken stated, it's the intent of MARC to not only keep the membership it has, but to expand its memberhsip by offering excellent liability insurance for MARC-related events, including an umbrella policy over and above the basic coverage. We feel that although some folks may opt out of MARC, most will recognize the benefits it offers and will stay. Obviously, the Board hopes others will join in as well. We know that clubs are not for everyone, but as most of us feel about Ford Barn, we believe MARC brings a lot to the table regarding education through its publications, fine point and touring class judging standards, fashion judging standards, youth programs, and annual meets for the exchange of ideas and to better the hobby. For less than a tank of gas, an individual can avail himself of these benefits for a year. The reality of the world we live in is that lawsuits happen (see thread re: MAFCA Lawsuit) and that MARC wishes to mitigate to the best of its ability any circumstance that may occur in the future. This may require full MARC membership from its Regions. As stated earlier -stay tuned.
Thanks Joe, with the stay tuned comment, and that fact that you did not directly answer the two pointed questions I had, can I infer that the answers to these questions have not been decided by MARC leadership yet?

Don't get me wrong, I personally feel INDIVIDUAL membership in MARC is well worth the $38. And yeah, that's less than a tank of gas. But I'm telling you flat out, we have scores of members who will not renew in our club if their dues were to increase by the $38. If we were forced to require MARC membership in our club to continue to be a Region of MARC, our clear choice would be to no longer be a region of MARC. It's a simple matter of economics.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote