View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Parts Storage........ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
Over the last 10 years I have collected boxes of spare parts for my Roadster. I have a bad habit of ordering "extra" just in case I need it. Then I have lots of slightly used parts that are too good to be thrown and you never know when you or one of your friends needs one. I have tried making spread sheets on my computer, note pads, etc to keep an inventory. Problem is not only recording it somewhere but then FINDING it when you need it. It is sooooo easy these days to hop on the computer and order another one. I hope this spurs some ideas from others in this wonderful hobby and you will share them with us.

Until then - Jim "still lookin"
I'll call your hand and raise you on this one. How about being in our shoes and keeping up with parts for 19 different Model-A projects simultaneously?

Presently we have 24 sections of pallet racking that is 16' tall. We use an order picker (basically a fork lift that you ride up with the load) that we use to stage parts on the different shelves. I will be straight-up honest with you that it is very time-consuming and expensive to be organized. We basically adapted Ron's method several years ago, but what I did is used a Ford Model-A Parts Price book for the numbers of each item and then set-up an Excel spreadsheet listing everything in chronological order by part number since often times part numbers vary between vendors. On each row, you can set-up your spreadsheet to reflect what you need to purchase, the quantity, whether you have purchased the item, and the location. Then label your shelves like A1-5 which A would be a vertical section, and the first number would be the shelf number, and the last number is the box or bin it is in.

For us, within the next year I am going to purchase a pallet of two or three different size boxes, and we will be using a bar code scanner to know where a specific item is at all times. For example, when an item such as a service brake cross-shaft is removed from the vehicle, it will be placed on the customer's rack on the 3rd shelf. From there it will be gathered and sent to media blasting. With the scanner, we will know where it is and we can give the media-blasting company a manifest of everything he is taking. When he returns, the item will go back onto the shelf and will stay there until it goes to our Metal Shop to be disassembled and the shafts ends welded up. From there it may go to our Machine Shop or it may be placed back on the customer's shelf. Once the machine work has been done, it will either go to the shelf again or it will go to the Paint Shop. From there it will go to the Assembly Parts Room where each customer has a set of shelves which their restored parts are laced on. The scan tool will allow us to know exactly what item is where. What makes this technology even better for us is each of the guys can use their iPhone to scan the barcode on the box that will tell them what is inside that box on the shelf. As far as my used parts inventory, I am not near as big as what Steve is, but again we have the item name listed in alphabetical order on a sheet with the section and shelf number listed so the guys can walk right up to the location and get what they need.

I realize this is WAY more than what you are asking, but I thought it might make your task seem less daunting. Below is a couple of pictures that show one area of storage for us.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0271.jpg (58.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0277.jpg (69.1 KB, 150 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote