Thread: 1937 No start
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #70
nemw001

Default Re: 1937 No start

Update -- took of muffler and no change - took off timing cover and barred engine over to check actual timing mark alignment, they are right on - it has a fiber cam gear and no teeth were missing and I did not see any cracks or suspect markings on it - I am new to this flat head work however, I do have a working knowledge of mechanics and am capable of following any advice given to me and if not will most certailny ask for clarification prior to implementing any suggestion - that being said what I know - 1) timing marks are aligned. 2)distributor is just rebuilt and in vice as well as on car is giving a nice blue / white spark. 3) Removed muffler and no change. 4) Will not fire off with artificial enrichment fuel OR starting fluid. 5) New plugs gapped at .025" 6) Ran 6v to coil with switch wire disconnected and still no start. 7) Hooked a switching type 12v source to battery and while some1 cranked car switched it on for 10 seconds and just got even louder backfires. 8) Can see gas being pumped when manually pumping linkage at carb. 9) Dumped 1/4 cup of raw gas down carb held gas pedal to floor and cranked - backfires only 10) With caps removed had someone bar engine while I was under car with a timing light to ground and when rotor sparked off at #1 cap tower checked to see if it was actually sparking AT the tower did this several times and it sure seems to be. 11) Ohmed checked wires all are 2-4 ohms, wiggled them as well to see if maybe shorting to ground in loom and does not appear to be doing so. 12) Took caps apart and checked for carbon arcing / tracing and saw no evidence of this. 13) Checked firing order using Van Pelts diagram and it is fine, I had never touched them prior to this check. 14) Cleaned battery and starter connections to be sure starter was capable of cranking fast enough for engine to fire, but with the 12v test I did this was more a PM thing at this point. 15) Checked inline resister on interior firewall to be sure it was not open / shorted to ground. 16) Did a compression test, all cylinders within 75 - 100 psi. 17) with all plugs removed had som1 crank engine and I verified all valves opening and closing and none appeared "hung" open. 18) looked in mirror and asked myself if I am sure I have been repairing cars for 35 years. LOL -== I am now going to pull intake off and check for restriction or possible blown out gasket.
nemw001 is offline   Reply With Quote