View Single Post
Old 09-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #4
wrndln

Default Re: Phaeton folded down top rests on the spare wheel?

Bengt,
I have a glass that fits in the rear window of a phaeton or roadster. I don't know if it is an original or not. I mic'ed it out at .115". That is less than 1/8" - pretty thin. Looking at page 250 of the Ford Service Bulletins, it specifies the glass at .080" to .187" thick - a pretty wide range. 1875" is 3/16", so you are at the top limit. If your glass is 3/16" thick, that is over 50% heavier than the glass I have. I don't know if that is part of your problem or not. It is hard to replace glass in the top. What you could do is leave the top up (what I plan to do with my phaeton) or possibly make a "spacer" to sit in the top test bracket on the studs to lift the top a little higher. I am not at the point of installing the top on my 29 phaeton, so I don't know if I will have the same problem as you. Long ago, Dave Lopes told me, he never put the top down on his 28 phaeton and I like I mention above, I plan to do the same. He said the top would develop creases as the top was raised and lowered. One last thing - is the back panel with the glass in it, taught or a little floppy? I believe it should be quite taught. Good luck with your top problem. Maybe someone else has encountered this problem and will post their experience.
Rusty
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote