View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #82
Benson

Default Re: Do you drive your A in the snow or stormy weather?

Roger,

Was that storm Jan 27th 1969? … Parts of Seattle got 45 inches that day.

We were on a DC-8 coming back from Vietnam.

I was not ready for a second Tet Offensive and was so glad to get out of Vietnam before Jan 30th came around again.

The Anchorage AK airport was socked in due to snow so we refueled at Cold Bay near Russia in Aleutian Islands.

They let us land at McCord AFB.

Roger
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkb1936 View Post
I had been in wa state (greater seattle area) 3 0r 4 years when we had a much deeper than average snow storm. 16" behind garage door. I really needed to go to store. there was no chance my newer 2 wd pickup was getting out. there is a sizable rise out of driveway to road. sometime before that I had bought a bunch of "A" stuff. in it was a couple 19' wheels with old snowmobile tires mounted. these were made by a co in Wisconsin, arp I think. these had a heavy crossways lug about every 4 ', to fit between the pads on tracks to prevent spinning. I looked at these, and my 31 roadster and gave a resounding "hmmm". so I mounted these wheels on car, and opened garage door. that car dug two trenches out of shop, with snow and dirt flying. it clawed its way up the driveway and onto road. down the road at 30 mph, with people looking at an old roadster out at nite in a snowstorm. I got to the store and back without incident, and sold the tires for $100 a piece

Last edited by Benson; 02-13-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)