View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #74
Dick Steinkamp

Default Re: Do you drive your A in the snow or stormy weather?

We don't get much snow here in Western Washington, but the A doesn't mind it a bit (I think it snowed back in the 1930's also ). The Autolite manifold heater keeps things toasty warm inside. The biggest drawback is that I have to roll down the window every time I signal a turn...

I was going to school in Eastern Washington in 1966 and took my first A over Snoqualmie pass in the middle of winter. I had a manifold heater on it but no door to control the amount of heat. The heat was driving us out of the car. My partner put one of his books over the hole and held it with his foot. It caught the book on fire! . It was snowing pretty hard also. We were passed quite often, but many times saw those same cars in the ditch a little later down the road. The A had no trouble in the snow.

One time in Ellensburg, however, I did put it a little off the road in the snow/ice. I put it in first gear, let the clutch out, advanced the throttle a little, and jumped out and pushed. I did catch up to it before it went in the ditch again.