Thread: Battery
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHZIEMAN View Post
Got to thinking, a bit more. A battery that discharges in a 12 hour period has had something either draining the battery or, a combination of a lot of the other stuff listed on the posts. With that said, could it be the gen regulator is stuck or something else discharging the bat? I would also suggest as part of my comment to disconnect the battery ground cable and then do the slow charge and check of liquid levels. And if you can get to the cells, with a hydrometer, check the specific gravity! 1275 + is charged and 1100 is discharged! Also if one cell is down, that is not a good thing. It normally infers something internal, if the bat will not take a charge. Let us know!
Perfect advice. I will only add that you should feel the battery once in a while as it's being slow charged for several hours. If it's getting too warm, then stop charging and turn it in for a core. It has a shorted cell most likely, and could explode. It has happened to me. Also never connect or disconnect the charger cables to the battery posts, unless the power is off, so you don't get a spark.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote