View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
Ed

Default Re: My Clutch Job Observations

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you are getting into.

A few comments,
1) many of the clutch disc installed in the Model A did not have springs in the center of the disc. This can exaggerate clutch chatter problems.

2) Another problem I have noticed is many of the flywheels have “hard” spots in them. This can cause the clutch disc to “grab”.

3) Unfortunately, the most likely problem is oil in the clutch assembly. With an oil leak like you are describing, this is very likely.

4) Your oil leak may be coming from the rear main area. If this is the case, then you be checking main bearing clearances in the engine. You may find the drain tube on the rear main cap is no longer attached to the cap. (This is quite common)

5) When the flywheel is removed, check the measurement from the face of the flywheel to the lip on the flywheel where the pressure plate sets. If I remember correctly, this measurement should be 1.23 inches. Also, make sure the flywheel mounting bolts are below the resurfaced area. These measurements are important starting points. These flywheels are at least 75 years old. You have no idea what has been done to them in the past.

6) I have found that using a rebuilt original pressure plate works best. There are some import replacement parts out there that are very problematic. Ask around and make sure you know what your buying. Berts Model A Parts is a source for information concerning quality parts. They also charge actual shipping cost. No “handling” charges.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote