View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #18
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Sea-foam, MMO, or fogging to help sticky valves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
I think you are jumping to conclusions. You may be right, but I'd want to know what was causing the "backfiring and bucking" before I implemented a solution (or series of solutions).

Have you done a compression or leak down test? Valves hanging open would clearly show.
Those 2 tests would show a partially stuck open valve but not a sluggish valve. vacuum gauge would show a sluggish valve along with non sealing valve and or vacuum leaks which can cause backfiring.

if deffinately cannot hurt to run seafoam or MMO in either oil or gas and should be done anyways.

Seafoam can be added anytime to the crankcase but the reccomend 100-300 miles before changing oil and filter. Seafoam will remove all sorts of gunk and without an oil filter it may gunk and overload the oil so watch the color closely. if it starts turning black quick, dump it and dump in the cheapest multiweight oil you can find (walmarts supertech oil is pretty decent and cheap like $12/5qt jug cheap) and add the seafoam again and run it watching the color closely.