View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 12:08 AM   #30
trentclark

Default Re: 8BA doesnt have power

Okay, pulled the dizzy, I had #1 at 12:00 so i reworked it at 6:00 and it now starts cold without choke or pumping the gas. not sure why that would matter but it surely did. set the timing at the bump (4 btdc per Tubman) at 475 rpm. swapped out the condenser with one i took off it years ago. checked the vacuum, it has 15 psi. seems a bit low but there are not any leaks, only two vacuum ports, one for vac advance, the other at the carb base for the wipers (not installed and plugged). not sure why the vacuum would be low, shouldnt it be around 25 psi?

I tore into the carb (94 ford) and found that the jets were not matching, one was a 35, the other a 48. looked like the fuel issue. took two 51 jets off another carb, new accel pump plunger, new gaskets and really took the time to clean and blow out all passages, all was clean. oh, and a new power valve. I had 4 power valves in my parts box and two were new or unused. set accel pump stroke to the winter position. vaporizes very well from the pump nozzle (#70).

Did a dry compression test and all ranged between 90-115. ill do it again wet and i assume they will even out.

Still if I hit the gas hard, it dies. It still makes this large sucking sound. if you ease into it it will rev up nicely. thought maybe my electric pump was not giving enough fuel. I ran the pump by itself into a cup and had a nice steady stream of fuel. its an edlebrock pump, now and 3-4 psi. emptied the tank and put in fresh gas, no change.

ill post the video on youtube and post the link so you can see it. still puzzled.
trentclark is offline   Reply With Quote