Thread: 37 Coupe
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2022, 10:56 AM   #24
blucar

Default Re: 37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Freak View Post
I never understood why they were considered ugly. Personally. I love the front end. Sort of an"art deco" look to me. Now, some folks consider the '38 Deluxe/'39 Standard to be the ugly duckling. I don't think any of them are ugly! God only knows how many '37-'38 coupes & 2dr sedans were chopped up for early stock car & Jalopy racing back in the 50's & 60's. It's a wonder there are as many left as there are! - F f

It is very simple why so many '37-38 Ford coupes were so popular on the stock car tracts.. Price! They were plentiful and cheap. I paid $125. for my '36 Delux coupe with 51.k on the odometer. in '52 I had a '36 standard 5 win bought for $50., that I let a friend have because oil was dripping out of the tailpipe.

I had a '37 coupe for a while in '54-55 that had been given to me because the engine was dead. The car had alternated between the stock car tract and the drag strip.
On several occasions I pulled the full race 59-AB engine out of my 36, put it in the 37 coupe and took it to the local drag strip on Saturday. Had to put the engine back into my coupe on Sunday so I could drive it to work on Monday... The wild and crazy days of my youth.