View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
Paul Bennett

Default 50 Merc Steering Box - removing the box w/shaft

I wish to R&R my steering box. My steering is sloppy and the turn signal wiring needs replacing, tasks which involve either end of the shaft. I've made arrangements to professionally have the box rebuilt.

I've read and reread the shop manual many times and have read the many posts here and HAMB. And I have envisioned the task in my mind many times. SM states - Removing wiring, removing firewall cover plates, loosening the column clamp, removing shift rods. Final step simply states "Remove 3 bolts holding the box to the frame and remove the assembly from the vehicle".

I keep coming back to getting the steering shaft out of the column without raising the car on a lift to gain enough clearance. In my mind, I can't get the steering box down clearing the axel stuff using the clearance provided by opening up the firewall cover pieces.

Starting to wonder if one slides the column off the shart INTO the interior of the car and then removes the box INTO the interior. ??

IF you have removed a '50 Merc box, give me a hint please. IF you don't know more than I do, hows to read the results I'm looking for. Respectiful thanks.

Last edited by Paul Bennett; 06-05-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote