Thread: 215 85 16s
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 11:18 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default 215 85 16s

OK, this size tire came stock on dually pickups for many years. Maybe some still do, but I think the newest stuff is 17-18". Anyway your average 28 year old refinery worker making 70 grand a year wants some real meats on his rig, and this size ends up on the used tire auction block.. I have always thought this tall/skinny profile would work nicely on a stock ford rim of our vintage. Last month our local gas station-tire place changed hands and the new owner's insurance would't let them sell used tires out back.... But they could GIVE them away, so I hauled off 4 for a test. I have an old Coates 'tireman' manual tire machine so I took four home and mounted them. What a difference! Yes, steering in a parking lot at a standstill required more effort, but down the road like a dream. Today I had a delivery to the mainland so I went to the used tire place and got 4 really nice ones for 150.00 for all. It was 6:00 pm and 40 degrees when I got home, but I just had to peel off some old tires and mount a couple of the 'new ' ones. Not sure I can divide 150.00 by four but I think a real bargain. I know some (Tinker) will think I sold out on the bias thing ..... Anyhow, just wondering if anybody else here runs the 215 85r 16 tires. P.S., at the Portland Or swapmeet I asked a salesman from a well known vintage tire company about radials for the woodie and he quoted me something like 275.00 a piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 215s in the back.JPG (114.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 215s on the slab.JPG (120.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 215 on the side.JPG (104.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg red 215 closeup.jpg (53.3 KB, 132 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote