View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #35
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Re: How tight is tight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Well now....I pulled the pistons and rechecked the clearances on the rods again. I 1st called the folks that did the rods. They align bore the rods (.40over) with a shim pack in but mentioned side clearances be different since my crank was ground probably a little off from their rig. Yes it was! ALSO I got in a rush and didn't double check the plastiguage reading and assumed them to be accurate when I torqued them up. WRONG!. Today I did the tinfoil trick and ended up adding shims to every rod. Guess what, they move like their supposed to when torqued up. Now pop the pistons back in and put the flywheel back on for the third time. Oh, I also got the side clearances corrected too.
I'll report back when I hang the starter back on but I'm sure I got it whipped.
Pete

Pete, your Rod People gave you a snow JOB. Unlike other Jobs, this one is Bad!

It is hard telling what kind of machine they bored the rods on, as there are many eye Brow lifters!

There 's no such thing as Align Boring a Rod, on any machine. Align Boring a bearing refers to Boring two or more bearings on a center line, such as Main bearings, and there is no assurance that would be done right by all the pictures that have been posted on this Fourm!

They align bore the rods (.40over) with a shim pack in but mentioned side clearances be different since my crank was ground probably a little off from their rig."END QUOTE"

There is no way that a rod fit was the fault of the crank grinder. If your crank was off that far, the crank would not be useable. What they did was pass the buck, as you don't fit the crank to the Rod, you Fit the Rod to the Crank.

So, if you had to take Babbitt off the sides, as they were not cut to 1.625-00 -.008 thousandths, they didn't do there Job right.

I am also about 99.99 percent sure that the Rods are also out of alignment, and doubt if they do check them, or even have a machine to do so.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote