Thread: 1949 F2 Pickup
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
1952henry

Default Re: 1949 F2 Pickup

F2s and F3s do not have the market coverage that is enjoyed by the F1.

First of all, an F2 has a non-synchonized four speed; it takes getting used to, ie double clutching.

Secondly, there is the rearend ratio, which is a whopping 4.86:1, think 50-55 mph. Finding the elusive 4.11:1 gears to make it highway friendly is tough. Many people will swap in a later Dana 60 from a Ford to get highway friendly gears.

Thirdly, finding replacement parts for the bed, if needed, is difficult as no bed parts are reproduced for the express.

In general, the 3/4 tons don't have the following as they are bigger, slower, rougher-riding, and aren't sought after by the dark-siders for street-rodding.

But, if you are like me, the above reasons are why I wanted my F3, in addition to the fact that is a Marmon-Herrington 4wd. You will not be one of the herd.

Other than the cab, doors, and hood, no other external body parts interchange from the F1 to F2-F6s.

There has been a bit of a surge in popularity for the F2-F3s. My estimation is that for now, you probably wouldn't see the return on your dollar with an F2 like you would with an F1. Just be sure you are going into it with eyes wide open.