View Single Post
Old 09-15-2021, 05:23 AM   #492
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

The Barn folks,
Little moves:

With those pistons shoved in there she turns over much harder!

Ok On the valves I set the gap cold at around .014 inch. Found the specs to day of course, and it says .010 to .012. Should I go back through and reset them? Just won't be as easy to roll the engine over now! So I am about .002 over spec, what do you think? Take the time to reset of just keep going? I think they are WAY better than when I took the engine apart! Some were .040 gap!

Head studs (new) are now in. Found another hole that was bad. Had to drill tap and heil-coil that hole too. Have used almost a pack of 7/16 heli-coils on this old block.

Got the pressure plate and flywheel back from the machine shop. Some hard spots in both. But very flat and true. Much better that prior. 90 year old cast material has issues!

I did realize that the clutch that was in the truck at 9-1/2 inch diameter had a bigger spline diameter (hub) than the one that came from engine #2, which probably was in a car and had the smaller 9 inch clutch.
Anyone have a place to get a 9-1/2 inch clutch at some point? I may just reuse this old clutch as it is not in bad shape. Just now new. But a lot of things in life are not new and still function ok.

I believe I could install the head and gasket at this time too. Got the torque specs, 35, 45 then 55 in a pattern. Hope I can get it over the new studs!

Need to take the oil pump apart and inspect. At 2-3 lbs of pressure required, I am hoping it is good enough to clean and use as is?

The pan gasket may be a challenge? How do folks hold this engine on a stand with the rear intermediate casting in place? I want to do the pan gasket with the engine and intermediate flywheel cover in place, upside down. I am going to use the casting that has the truck serial numbers on it. Just in case this becomes the engine that stays in the truck a while!

Off to the fair again today, Cheryl and I stayed overnight in the camper there last night. It rained and had a great Thunder and lighting show about 10:00!

Maybe get some quality time on the 32 engine also today? Don't be afraid to remind me to do something important on the B engine rebuild!!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 09-16-2021 at 06:57 AM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote