Thread: Wiper sweep
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 12:47 AM   #16
Graeme / New Zealand

Default Re: Wiper sweep

I have the same issue with my 48. I had an early 47 car that didn't have this issue.

The wiper systems on the 41 to early 47 have a different arrangement to to later 47/48s'
By early 47s I mean 46 cars that were classified as 47s with the rectangular park lights in the fender catwalks. Later 47 and 48s' having the round parklights.

41 to E 47 used different wiper towers to to L47 and48s'.

the early ones had the wiper motor mounted in a U shaped bracket that attached under the dash. Each wiper arm is attached to the pivot that comes through the scuttle. These are in unit and they in turn are held on to the wiper motor with a spring clip arrangement. The pivots through the scuttle have small bezels that screw around them and hold them in place. they use the wiper switch you have.

Later 47s and 48s have a different set up. The wiper motor sits in a frame that incorporates the wiper arms already attached to that frame complete with the pivots. The whole unit is mounted by pushing the pivots up through the scuttle and tying them in by securing the bezels around the pivots. These bezels are a lot larger that the early ones. The switch used is different in that it has a cable operate switching it on and off.

The 2 different systems use 2 different Trico wiper motors The early ones use a SSR 1 type. The later ones use a SSM 114

I have the same wiper parking problem. All NZ assembled 46/48 fords run the US 41 dash incorporating the 41 switch which has a similar wiper hose set up to the 46/early 47 US version. Being a 48 my car has that later wiper assembly and I have to use that because of the bigger bezel holes. So I effectvely have an early wiper motor on later set up and a a result the wipers park up against the windshield divider. I can't "re-clock" the wiper arms because they end up wanting to wipe down towards the firewall.

So I would be interested in any solutions too.

I've attached a picture of the "frame type" setup round parklight 47/48s should have. The second and third pics show the 41 to early 47 wiper motor and the same mounted in its bracket complete with switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (4.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg P9130849.jpg (32.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg wiper motor 46.jpg (84.4 KB, 40 views)

"You're a long time looking at the lid"

Last edited by Graeme / New Zealand; 01-14-2019 at 02:41 AM.
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote