View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #279
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Thanks guys once again. I did make some progress over the weekend. Most was on door handles/latches. I decided to go with Toyota Landcruiser pre-'75 door latches mated to ford pickup outer door handles. The square shaft is the same size but sits as a diamond shape at rest on the toyota side. Nothing I can't fix. I decided to weld a narrow flange to the toyota latch mechanism so I can screw to the edge of the door as well. This latch has an inside handle that operates direct on the mechanism with no linkage. A bit cumbersome to operate for old stiff folks, but all in all, they look and operate like something one would have chosen back in the 40s for a one off commercial vehicle. Besides I had two in my attic and located two more for 22 bucks each, and they are very solidly built for hard off road work. I labored over the decision to mount the handles about 2 1/2" below the belt line like on a '40-'41 woodie instead of in line with it like a '46-'47. This Frankenwoodie body looks a lot more like a '40-'41 so I opted for the former. With more grandchildren coming along than you can shake a stick at, this location will also be easier for them to reach. I have 3 ford jailbar pickup handles, but some are stainless and some are painted pot metal. I think the stainless ones are '42s? I know I will need dovetails on all doors and that should be rather straightforward. The engine continues to progress as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door latches on woodie 007.jpg (72.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg door latches on woodie 016.jpg (35.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg door latches on woodie 014.jpg (45.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg door latches on woodie 049.jpg (94.5 KB, 87 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote