View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
WHN

Default Re: Another question about oil viscosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldforder View Post
The reason I put in the A is because it is not a daily driver. Summer it probably gets started at most once a week, sometimes not for 2 or 3 weeks, and of course November till April it is put to sleep for the winter. SO, I thought the stickiness of the STP would cling to the bearings etc better when sitting. Maybe just oil stays good enough. I know some say STP is not a lubricant, but only a viscosity improver, but then why is it used by many as an assembly lube, which needs the best lube to prevent premature break in wear??
I can’t remember how many times I have given this same advice.

Over all my years owning Model A Ford’s this combination has worked the best for us.

Four quarts of 20w-50 Walmart motor oil, one blue bottle of STP, in engine, and Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas. John Deere Cornhead grease in steering box and u joint. If u joint is empty, could take a full tube. I pressure lube the chassis every 200 miles. Check transmission and rear end oil level regularly, and check your torque on the rear axel nuts offen. 100 foot pounds needed.

I have taken high mileage Model A engines that were making all kinds of noise. Dropped pan, cleaned completely along with pump screen. Tuned up. Added STP and MMO along with 20w-50 high detergent oil. You can almost hear the change from minute to minute. I do recommend changing oil after the next 100 miles or so. Rings and valves free right up.

Just my experience. I’m sure there are people that could question or find fault in my methods. But it works for us.

There great cars, the little kids love them. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote