View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
oldforder

Default Another question about oil viscosity

Ok, as a little background, I just bought my first A just last fall. It is a 29 Tudor. I know nothing about the engine, except I did clean the pan and valve chamber, and it starts and runs really good with no smoke, and I don't think it has any really bad noises. I have not been around an A since I was 20 years old, and that was 55 years ago. I was a pro mechanic from 1964 till 1985. I am familiar with the splash oiling system in the old Chevys, and since the last 30+ years I am a pro OPE mechanic, I am certainly familiar with splash oiling of small air cooled engines. Which put out about the same HP per cubic inch as an A. My question (finally). is about the best viscosity to use, to protect the mains especially. I have been reading all the old posts here, and see that it sorta runs from 30w to 20w50 with STP added. I don't use this car in the winter in the winter, and will never be started with temps below like 50 degrees F. If I did want to use it in colder weather, I have a good pan heater that heats the oil in the pan up nicely in a couple hours. Also My attached garage never gets below freezing even in below zero weather. Anyway back to my concern, would to thick of oil not flow down the holes to the mains fast enough to provide proper lube? I have always kinda liked using STP in old engines, but they have always been pressure lubed. Right now I have 15w40 oil and one stp in it, but I have a fairly large stash of oils, including 10w30 5w30 full synthetic, and more 15w40 and more STP. I am not going to drive it long distances or high speeds. Mostly just around town with top speeds 35/40 mph, and max 10 miles .
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote