View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #15
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Engine teaser: Getting closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
One of the challenges today is finding the types of rings that I want to run - as I really like the 1.5, 1.5, 3.0mm ring sets. (Or other ring packages for 1.0, 1.2, 2.8mm, etc). We get much higher quality rings than the ole Hastings crap we used to run -- a lot less friction and more HP.

I just ordered a set of custom Ross pistons a week ago - all based on ring sizes. The block was already bored to 3 5/16 (3.3125), had to go to 85.5 mm rings, so we are boring it to 3.361 (giving us .005 to hand fit the ring package).

I have a 3 3/8 race block that needs to be bored - hopefully I can go to 86mm, which is 3.385 . . . we shall see!

The bottom line is that I'm ordering custom piston sizes - just so I can get the type of rings that I want to run. All part of the modern flathead game!
I agree. Metric rings are the way to go. I was amazing how easily the motor can be turned over. I'll have to ask Ronnie to confirm the exact details, but originally Ross sent us the wrong-sized rings.

When they sent the replacement set of rings for the correct size, they were Total Seals but in a Ross branded box and were slightly different than Total Seals.

If I recall correctly, Ronnie said he's seen this type of ring before and they were the "good type". Thin, metric packs, but with a tapered face I believe. Meaning the oil ring land was 3.0 mm, but the face of the ring was not. It tapered down slightly to reduce the face of the ring. I hope I'm remembering this right.

Either way, we were happy since the bore is out so far, we wanted to try to reduce friction as much as possible to give this motor a long life. I hope to be able to pass it along to my boys without the need for a rebuild.

If I put enough miles on it to need one, there is still plenty of meat left for a .010+ clean up.

The old bores were so badly tapered that a .010+ pass didn't even come close to touching some portions of the bore.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote