View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #20
Nabco

Default Re: Putting "A" car into storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
I dont know what they do in NY but the first snow or sometimes even threat of snow they dump salt on the road that stays there as a white salty layer till spring...Our roads turn white every winter - not because of snow either...Interstates and main highways around here get caked up so bad when it is dry it looks like white dust from a gravel road getting kicked up from every vehicle going down the road.

Its not the driving on snow with salt mixed in, its the melted snow and mostly salty spray that gets in every little crack and destroys cars.

Unless you own your own carwash and wash it top to bottom with a pressure washer and every crevace on the underside and body panel seam after every drive its much better to just park it and wait till after the 2nd heavy rain in the spring. Then you get to play the "dodge the landmines" game with potholes in the roads.
One advantage on salty roads we have in Central Ohio that you may not see in IL is that very rarely does the snow stick around all winter, we have a series of snow fall, melting, rain and then more snow, melting and rain.

I did drive my car a couple times last winter but it was always after the melting and a couple rains to clean the roads....if I lived in NE Ohio or western NY I would park her for the winter for sure.