View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 08:30 PM   #18
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Potvin 3/8 cam specs?

Thanks for the update . . . sounds like a heavy car and a cruiser as well. I don't see many "real hot-rodded" 48 sedans so being a bit conservative might be a smart idea.

Given that we don't know the rear end ratio - a safe bet is a 3.78 and probably a stock trans. I don't know the cubic inches, but another cam I'd consider is the Isky 1007B - has a high rate of lift and runs really well - even in a smaller motor. The duration (from memory) is about 235 @.050 and I think it lifts .355. The opening ramp speed really helps with mid-range torque. Just another choice to checkout. If you want to try one, get in touch with Pete1 on the HAMB - he's a good friend and has been grinding cams for about 60 years - does excellent work.

I agree with you on the spring pressure issue - I don't run 100 lbs on the seat unless it is a roller cam or a special race situation with very high rpms and the cam has a billet core. You get too damn much cam deflection and wear at those spring pressures. I'd probably run something closer to 65 lbs for his application.

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote