View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #17
Patrick L.

Default Re: Gears 1930 model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moose View Post
I would define lugging as too high an intake manifold pressure for the current RPM. Combustion impulse forces get transmitted down to bearings much more when lugging. It's not just oil film, it's the beating. Just like detonation can ruin an engine even though lubrication is adequate.

It's going to be a function of shift speed, yes, but also load. How steep is the hill you're on? But it's hard to quantify with x rpm at x grade at x speed with x weight in the car.

However, if you step further on the gas and you get an immediate increase in speed, you are not lugging. If you step further on the gas and get no increase in speed, or the increase is painfully slow, you just might be lugging.

I agree in part.

I've been flying over 50 years and a lot of it is done operating over-square. [ manifold pressure v rpm] [ also lean of peak]. Doesn't hurt anything when done correctly.
However, some think lugging is what causes or can cause detonation. I suppose its a fine point or a matter of terminology. Detonation/ping/spark knock [ not pre-ignition] can be somewhat hard on an engine and is caused by too much load [ combustion temps and pressure] along with too much ignition advance.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote