View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: A of the day wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
What kind of fixtures are necessary to keep the rim concentric with the hub when reworking the wheels? Is this wheel mod practical for do-it-yourself?

Bob, I have a Bear Wheel Straightener that runs very concentric, and a fixture could be built to clamp the rim into using a centering fixture mounted to the turntable on the wheel press. As far as practical for a do-it-yourself guy, probably not for everyone but if someone had a knee mill with a large rotary table, they probably could get close enough to call the job successful

I thought about using a set of 26/27 T wire wheels and doing the process to a 17" motorcycle rim for my daughter's speedster to be able to use a low(er) profile radial tire. I was going to layout the holes in the M/C rim for the spokes on my rotary table and using a 90° angle head, drill the holes in the proper spacing around the perimeter to slide the spokes into during setup. Then I could indicate it on the wheel press and weld it out when it was true. As you can imagine, this would be a large undertaking so the car was finished with '27 Chevrolet disc wheels instead.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote