View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #49
GOSFAST

Default Re: Cost of rebuild a flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Gary, do you have a copy of JWL's book? There is allot of dyno information comparing different modifications. I have found that the Flathead peeks at about 46-4800 RPM reguardless what cam, valves, porting, and carbonation you put on it. There are exceptions of coarse and I talking street engines. I'll be interested in your blower tests. I've spected out a 294 (3 5/16 X 4 1/4) blower motor for a friend of mine. This includes the Edelebrock heads and A Can Technique blower cam. Blower will be the Magnason Eaton system. Waiting for the blower.
Good luck Ol' Ron
Hi Ron, negative on the JWL (?) book, the only "Flattie" book I have here is one written by a close friend, Bill Sinclair of "Thunder-Road Flatheads". He campaigns a nostalgic stock-car up here in the Northeast! Did his "Flattie" build some years ago, still running strong!

As I stated earlier here, I never had the opportunity to dyno a blown Flathead unit but I do have a general idea about the power numbers!

With respect to building the "blown" units, keeping in mind the purpose of the blower is to greatly increase the Torque numbers, I'd be inclined to run a shorter (3.750"/4.000") stroke when built on this platform! We find the Chev's like the strokes/rod-lengths somewhat on the shorter side! This is NOT "etched-in-stone", only a general "rule-of-thumb"!! This would also require ALL pertinent input, vehicle weight, intended purpose (street or strip only, or both) rear gearing, tire height, trans, etc. to do an effective build.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. We enjoy doing the "one-off" builds, such as the "Flatheads", the old iconic "Nailheads", and many others. I have a very respectable pump-gas "Nailhead" powered Henry-J running out of Massachusetts. Customer does well with his ride, 11.1's @ 117/118! This is a "streeter", not a track only deal!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote