View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #44
GOSFAST

Default Re: Cost of rebuild a flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
It's nice to see honest Dyno numbers. I like those new Edlebrock heads.
Thanks, Ron.

We will NOT "fudge" numbers here to make thing's look better, they are what they are!

The only real way to get WAY higher numbers is to change the platform to a non-normally aspirated one, like a blower or turbo!!!

I have done a few "blown" units as well with the "B&M" setup! Haven't had the occasion however to dyno one of these. I have numbers in mind but will keep them reserved here for now!

The Edelbrock heads are OK, but we needed add'l cc's from them to hit the "target" C.R. After relieving the valve pockets, both radially and deep, and upon fire-slotting the spark plug holes to unshroud the plugs to the "charge", we were able to end up at the desired number of 78 cc's!!

(Add) Feel free too "poke" around the Flathead parts in the link here!

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567557661EjkkPG

An interesting build, normally-aspirated, would be a 10:1 "Flattie" running on E-85. We have a number of SB's and BB's using the E-85, some are seeing above 16:1. The cost of the fuel in our area is around 2.70/gal and is very hard to "detonate", haven't lost a single piston yet from the fuel itself!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The only issue I had with the Edelbrocks is in the fact they drill the head bolt holes WAYYYY too big! I had words with them about this issue and it actually was the main reason for us to devise the "pinned" heads/gaskets (using a pre-fabbed addition to our block-plate) similar to the SBC's!! Worked really well with keeping the heads more stabile and
should extend (copper) head gasket life some with the ARP stud kits!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote