View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #42
GOSFAST

Default Re: Cost of rebuild a flathead

A fair price is 200.00 to balance a "standard" Flathead, by this I mean one with "standard" replacement pistons, stock conn rods, and stock crank!! It does take some experience with the factory rods to get BOTH the reciprocating and the rotating ends all equal, not all that difficult though!

Ford or Merc would be the same price!

Just to touch on an average rebuild price I would guess $4500.00/$5000.00 would get a very "professional" build with ALL new components!

Based on a recent build with some "fancy" pieces and icluding the oil-filtration mod, aftermarket Eagle crank, Scat rods, Ross pistons, Edelbrock heads, Isky cam, Johnson tappets, Melling pump, etc. I would say you'd be somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000.00/$12,000.00 depending on the entire package.

This type build would definitely require a full dyno test.

Just delivered one to customer in Fla. with all the "goodies"! Made 154 HP @ 4300 and 251# Torque @ 2200 RPM. This was "292" stroker with the new Edelbrock 1116 heads! Customer is extremely satisfied with about 700 miles already on the unit!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Each of these individual "Flattie" builds really needs to be "tailored" to the car, the one mentioned above weighs about 4000#+, being a 49/50 Merc convertible. We simply needed all the available Torque we could muster up at a respectable/driveable RPM band!!! The Isky "stick" was a great help in that department!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)