View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #12
GOSFAST

Default Re: Scat Crank Dimensions??

This is where we're at today with the main brgs. After a discussion with my friend at our warehouse and Bryan out at Scat (Bryan did return our call, that means a lot by itself to me), King never did!

We all decided to open another set to be absolutely certain to see if what we saw with the first ones was the same. We were assured they would be returnable for a credit even though we opened them. Second set proved OK, called Bryan back and was instructed to call him Monday with the date codes on the one bad set, will do!

Also, once we saw the next set OK we opened the rest and checked every last brg in them all, turned out all are OK. In this case I now believe this is an isolated incident. I'm glad, especially when I reflect on the many issues with the BBC brgs from King. We no longer order any King's for the BBC platform as of about 2 or 3 years ago!

Just to give you a further idea of how some of these vendors operate, many here are aware we will not use the Eagle H-beam rods on any Flathead build. Many years ago, 2005 to be exact, on a stock-stroke 255" Merc, we ordered our first set, this was well before we learned the differences between the Eagles and the Scats. I'm not even sure the Scats were available back then?

From this single build we realized the Eagle's weren't going to fit these units without clearancing the blocks. Every thing was done and half assembled and I wasn't about to start over and grind on the block at this point. It turned out to be a relatively easy fix, some extra labor on our end, but since I chose the rods I wasn't about to pass any add'l cost to my customer. I knew it wouldn't be fair, he would have been just as satisfied with a set of recondition rods done here! I actually talked him into the Eagles from the start.

In any event, over time as we ordered the Eagle cranks I would often mention this to Tim down there thinking they would "fix" the problem. Never happened, for a long time after they'd question why I don't use their rods, oh well! Turned out at every "team-meeting" Tim was in on he would bring this issue up, that's where it still stands today. So it's Scat that ends up the winner here for conn rods anyway!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Wait, Gary:

Can we circle back to the Navarro heads thing? You think H&H isn't going to do anything about it? The owner posts here every now and then. It would be shame if he doesn't. The heads you dealt with were screwed up.
P.S. Tim, I would really be surprised if any changes are made to the Navarro's, honestly?? Time will tell. I will give Mike credit out there, he's was a gentleman enough to at least show an interest AND return our calls. This is more than we generally find!

Last edited by GOSFAST; 07-27-2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: CC
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote