View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #16
larrys40

Default Re: Looking for help

Todd,
there are a couple of options for attaching a chain to pull the engine.

Most preferred - use one of the eye hooks in the #3 spark plug hole..... you can buy them at the Model A parts suppliers or make one from an old spark plug base
Alternate, remove the exhaust manifold and water inlet ( in drivers side of block) and bolt on there. I would use the #3 stud from front manifold stud.

As others have said... just because there is water in the oil doesn't necessarily dictate removing the engine. I would remove the head gasket for a change, possible head resurface as well and then the pan for cleanout, and inspection. If the pan is removed there is a process for removing/installing the inner dipper tray which should be done for a thorough cleanout.

You don't have to use acetone to get valve unstuck.... but can if you desire. some of the good penetrants like kroil, gibbs, etc do excellent as well.

I would suggest a good logical common sense approach and not to rush into a big tear down without thinking it through. It could be he got water in the oil from leaving the distributor hold down loose on it's head stud, leaving some coolant leakage to pass, it could be head gasket, or more. If you are going to remove the head and pan I would suggest having someone available who is schooled at engines to assist and advise.

best of luck !
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote