View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Painting Wheels - Spin Speed

Let me comment one or two points. There really is not a right way / wrong way when spraying wheels because they were originally dipped. Therefore basically you must decide what you are trying to accomplish.

For me, I want a thin mil thickness of paint that flows out like glass where we do not need to colorsand & buff the finish coat to have them slick. Because of that, we typically shoot one medium coat and allow to flash before spraying one heavy coat with a slow solvent. My Dad's wheel painting machine (from the 60s) uses an old variable-speed BBQ rotisserie motor so the speed is almost infinite in speed however the problem I have when I use it, is the tendency is to spray short little bursts of paint which creates orange peel from the trapped air. That is why I prefer Ken's method too. With that said, folks just need to be creative with what works for them. If you notice, we use multiple pipes with placement all around the booth. Ken stacks his (ducks ) up in a row. It is just a matter of personal preference.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote