View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #135
Tim Ayers

Default Re: 59 AB engine rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Valves: As I noticed you already had the late valves (non-mushroom stems), you may be able to reuse them. Clean them all up with a wire brush to get all the carbon/crap off them.

I would then put them in a lathe and check for straightness, then mic the stems and see what condition they are in and also see that they haven't been reground too many times - having no margin left for a regrind. If the valves look good, then I would polish the stems in the lathe while I was at it. I use some super-fine sandpaper that has already been used on something else - like 600 wet or dry.

Springs: I'd probably pickup a set of springs no mater what - as your engine sat for a long time, had water in it (rust), etc.. The Zephyr springs just have a bit more strength (pressure on the seats) than stock springs. Typically they have about 55 lbs on the seat (at installed height).

Guides: If your guides are good, you can reuse them - might be a good idea to send them to GOSFAST and have him put the bronze liners and seals on them - not a bad idea.
Ron S. in CT (Ronnie the Roadster) also does guides. He machined mine so they are tapered at the top for better flow. His work is top notch and it's reasonable. I think $60 or something like that.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote