View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 07:54 AM   #14
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: BackFlushing Radiator and Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
What I did that made a huge difference, 30CCPU basically said above. First I filled the cooling system with distilled water and added a tab of dishwasher detergent to degrease. Ran it for a couple days and drained, looked terrible. Then I added thermocure, following the directions on the bottle. Ran for about a week and drained, completely black. Had to flush many times with water to stop a foaming issue but now the top tank of the radiator looks like clean brass instead of a rusty mess.

I agree with ryan, both methods work. I have also used thermocure in addition to the white vinegar.

Nice thing about the thermocure is it actually "dissolves" the rust, where white vinegar you can get flakes of rust coming out when you flush/drain.

Thermocure (rust 911 is another product) is more expense, but you do not have to mess with the Baking soda/water treatment, or have to worry about flushing out the grease in your pump, or worry about getting vinegar all over your engine bay and on your exterior paint causing paint damage.

Do not remember if mentioned, recommend installing an upper hose coolant filter, at least for a while. In case some trash got loosened up you do not want it plugging up your freshly cleaned radiator. You can always remove it after a while if all is OK. The Gano filter is the most mentioned filter. There are other alternatives. I personally do not recommend using a sock or nylon/panty hose. Have heard of cases they break up and ending up in the radiator plugging it up.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote