View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #747
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

I posted this segment on another thread and then thought I’d post it on my usual for two reasons. One, in the event my readers may miss it and two so as I can keep a copy for one day I may compile my stories into a book for my kids. So here they are. And yes, you may well correctly conclude I’m gullible.

Gullible Gary.

1st Chapter.
I contacted Microsoft for help with a computer program. But it wasn’t Microsoft but a look a like. I became suspicious when the phone call was passed on several times. Foolishly I gave them access to my computer and was told I needed 2 programs costing $1,800. I took the computer to my computer shop to be told all was well. I received an angry call when I declined to buy followed by a demand for $1,800 for products I received. Then demands from a debt collection agency for same. Then a request for compromise: they would settle for $1,000. This continued for some time so I put their business name into scamwatch. This all ended abruptly when they offered to end their demand it I withdrew my complaint. What was good for the goose is good for the gander.

2nd chapter
I did get scammed for a large amount when I purchased a tractor on the internet. The bill came through ebay, well so I thought. An invoice with a serial number on an ebay letterhead. I couldn’t get the money off fast enough for fear of missing this bargain. Transmitted through Western Union. It looks more than likely the cash went to Nigeria. I knew immediately that an endeavour to recover it was pointless.

3rd chapter.
I receive a phone call at least once each week advising my internet will be terminated unless I respond by pressing “0”. This is a good call for it keeps in my mind the venerability of being scammed. Particularly myself because I take people at face value- all my working life dealing with farmers.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-04-2019 at 02:23 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote